Wednesday, September 1, 2010

You are what you think

It's late (well, for a tired elementary teacher), but I really wanted to share what I've been learning over the last week. 
One thing I feel like I've been struggling with while being here in Brazil is feeling very tense and anxious-- between balancing all the newness, trying to be on top of my game for teaching, and transitioning into this new stage of my life.  I was feeling uptight, and it has been affecting my health-- back pain, headaches, stomachaches, mentally and physically not being able to relax.

I joined a bible study from some people from at school.  We're going through this book called "Battlefield of the Mind."  The premise of the book is that a lot of spiritual battles occur and begin in the mind.  Our thoughts produce the fruits of our actions-- the thoughts that are circling in our heads will affect our outlook on life.  There is so much power in choosing to think things that are the truth and things that are positive.  Choosing to praise, be thankful, focus on His beauty, and believe to see ourselves as HE sees us.  This is the task of each moment.  And because he exists in the present moment, our only obligation is to be present in the present and to seek His truth for that moment.  And the next moment, and the next moment (Victorious lives are made up of victorious moments).  It's choosing to believe that the lies we are tempted to live in are a weak and pale comparison to the vibrant life he is offering. 

I can't believe how much of a difference this shift in my mindset has helped me be able to have a sense of peace in my day.  The difficulties are still present, but I feel much more joyful and able to breathe.

Please pray for the grace to be able to continue to walk in this mindset.  To constantly renew my mind in the truth and to choose to dwell in the light.

1 comment:

  1. im stealing some of this advice for a friend. this is exactly where they are right now and need to hear this! I love you dear sweet friend and i miss you.

    May God hold your hand as you are there and fill any voids of loneliness, lost, identity, self, etc. Take it one day at a time, one moment, one thought. and then the next..and the next.. :)

    i love you.
    -jordyn

    ReplyDelete