Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The question is... am I smarter than a 5th grader?

This is my first week of my second placement.  I have said goodbye to first grade, with bittersweet feelings.  Now I am across the courtyard in fifth grade.  It is very different!
1.  They sit still!  They can sit quietly and read independantly for 20+ minutes.
2.  They (for the most part) follow directions the first time.
3.  No one has asked me to tie their shoes.
4.  I don't have to bend down as far to give hugs.
5.  I went from teaching short vowel sounds and defining what a community is to talking about exponents, how to structure a paragraph, and science inquiry methods! 
6.  The role of the teacher is very different-- it's much more of a facilitator and encouraging critical thinking rather than providing guidance and direct instruction.

I am excited for the higher level of content, especially with the literature-- my secret and somewhat nerdy love for young adult literature is now being put to good use!  I'm really looking forward to getting to know the kids more and having more meaningful conversations with them.  However, I am going to have to do my homework!  The content knowledge doesn't come as easily in this grade, and I'm going to have to study up!! 

Things outside of school are good.  I'm trying to stay healthy and try to stay centered and at peace, even though life is pretty busy.  I'm itching to get out of the city and experience some of the nature close by.  Part of the reason that people decided to locate the capitol where it is was that there are several waterfalls close to the city.  I haven't seen a waterfall yet, but I'm hoping to get out and do some hiking this weekend!

It hasn't rained here for 125 days now, so the environment has taken a hit.  The sky has looked threatening a couple of days, but still no rain.  I'm excited for the rainy season to begin, so that things will be green again!  I also am in the mood for a good thunderstorm!

I can't believe my time here is almost half done.  It feels like it has gone so quickly, and yet, it feels like the day I arrived is so distant!  I'm really excited for my parents to come next week! 

1 comment:

  1. How long are your parents visiting? What a special time for all of you! Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete