Saturday, August 21, 2010

One month

I have officially been here for one month.  Wow-- it's crazy-- and I'm not sure if it feels like it's flown by or that I've been here for a long time--- I suppose it's a little bit of both. 
I'm sorry that I haven't written in awhile.  I will catch you up.
I am starting to teach in the classroom bit by bit.  I have two guided reading groups (small groups that meet each day for 20 minutes), and I am teaching social studies-- which I will use as my big unit plan that I turn in to the university.  I am doing the unit on communities. 
The students are absolutely adorable, and a handful!  The stories they tell, the things they do when they think no one is looking, and the little hugs I get make me love this job!  I feel as though this is the right career for me because it is so easy to come to school and throw my heart into what I'm doing there!  Which, needless to say, means I am EXHAUSTED by the time school is done.  A highlight of my week was being in bed by 9 one night!  It is very easy to let school consume your life.  Several teachers have given me the wise advice to do your best and commit to excellence, but to set boundaries and have a balanced life, so as to keep your sanity!  I think this is a good thing to keep in mind, because this is a job that is never done-- there's always something else to get done. 
I got to go to church with Erin, my cooperating teacher last week, and it was so refreshing to go-- I hadn't been able to go for several weeks.  The corporate worship was very refreshing.  While it was very nice to go to an English speaking church, I wasn't sure if it was a church that I would necessarily go to if there were other options.  I am currently praying about what I should do about that. 
I think above all, my heart is longing for fellowship.  While I feel that I'm adjusting well, there is such a shock of newness to everything: new country, new language, new career, new schedule, new group of friends, new climate, new lifestyle, new things to do on the weekends, new choices that need to be made-- new EVERYTHING!  On the one hand, I feel like everything is going so smoothly-- there's just a "rightness" about being here right now.  And yet, there is also a degree of chaos- inside of me.  I feel just a little bit out of whack from the transitions. 
As the first month has past, and I'm settling into a routine, I want to be able to find a sense of balance.  Here's what I'm working on and learning:
-I need to take time to re center-- time for solitude, rest, and not having to "be on" on a regular basis
-Being fully present in the moment (and not being anxious about what the next season will hold)
-Letting God be in control of situations, my future, relationships etc.
-Being unapologetic about who I am and what I need
-Failing with grace- learning from my mistakes and claiming the victories as they come
-Seeking His face each day with joy and grace

1 comment:

  1. i sent a video of a speaker to your facebook--thought you'd really appreciate her. if you have time to watch it (maybe your next date w/God:)), i'd love to hear what moved you. i love picturing these little hunnies tugging your arm with bright eyes & smiles, asking you to help them. so awesome that you're there.

    ReplyDelete