Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Breathing in the Brazilian Air

My good friend Marsha told me before I left for Brazil that this season was going to be one of freedom and release-- that I would come here and just breathe in the Brazilian air, so I could come back and share that with my loved ones here. 
In these last two weeks, I have been trying to do just that.  After finishing up with student teaching, we (Crystal, Jana, Natalia, and I) packed up our backpacks and headed on another Brazilian adventure.  This time we went to the northeast, to the state of Bahia.  I almost can't even adequately describe the depth and breadth of the beauty I beheld.  It left my heart feeling so full that I almost felt anxious-- like I had to strain to take it all in.  But then I remembered Marsha's advice.  I came back to the moment and took deep breaths of the warm Brazilian air.
Our first couple of days were spent in Chapada Diamontina (google it--- the pictures do a better job of describing the beauty than I can).  After a long day of traveling, a long winding dusty path led us to a remote pousada in the middle of... the most beautiful nature I have ever witnessed.  Imagine the Grand Canyon, with giant plateaus all around, covered in lush greenery and exotic plants that look like they're out of a Dr. Seuss book.  We spent three days hiking along these trails, each day very different and yet unspeakably beautiful.  Wide ravines with butterflies soaring throughout.  Swimming at the base of a remote mountain waterfall.  Watching the sunset on the top of a plateau with a 360 view of the Chapada.  It was so refreshing to my spirit to be out in this untouched wilderness.  (I can't wait to share my pictures with you!)
After that, we returned to Salvador, a coastal city with lots of beautiful old buildings.  We toured the city with some friends that we made at the bus station-- Ryan from L.A. and Dan from Australia.  Natalia and Crystal had to part ways shortly after, and Jana and I continued our vacation on the beaches near Salvador!  (We decided this was our "commencement ceremony"!!!!  Congratulations on graduating!  Let's swim in the ocean and lay on the beach!!)  We went to several beaches, and even spent a couple days on this quaint island called Morro de Sao Paulo (By the way, I think I want to repeat this vacation for my honeymoon!  It was that perfect!) The beaches were gorgeous, the weather was perfect, and the people we met along the way were very memorable.  As we were navagating through this state with very limited knowledge of the place or the language, we were continually blessed by goodhearted strangers who lent a hand when we needed it. I continue to be blessed and amazed by the generous hearted people of Brazil and their hospitality! 
I have officially hit the **Transition Stage**.  Getting back to Brasilia, I definitely felt mixed emotions.  Part of me is very much ready to come home-- to see all my loved ones, to hug my mom and dad, cuddle with my sister, and play nintendo with my brother :) But on the other hand, I am realizing how much I'll miss all of this-- the amazing experiences I've had, the beautiful people I've met: the students, my friends, the grocery store workers...  I haven't been able to fully grasp what this experience has been, nor do I think I'm capable of doing so... I will be processing it in the months to come.  I need to have patience, give myself room to laugh, cry, grieve the season passing, and look forward to what is in store (which is a whole other ball of wax on my "To think about" list!!! But that's another story for another blog). 
For now, I'll keep picking away at the packing that needs to happen, eat my daily acai, and joyously celebrate that I have LIVED in Brazil!

2 comments: