Sunday, November 21, 2010

Brilliantly Blue Brazilian Skies

The other day, while running an errand in school I looked up at the brilliantly blue Brazilian sky and it seemed to be even more vibrant than normal, as if to say "Don't go Allie! Stay here in this beauty." In the back of my head, and ever creeping towards the front, I'm thinking about the inevitable end of this experience. I'm trying to intentionally dwell on the positives of the upcoming change. Right now I'm here, in Brazil, surrounded by wonderful people and a beautiful country. I want to embrace every moment that I have while I'm here. I am also getting excited to see family and loved ones in Iowa. I'm looking forward to the embraces, home-cooked meals, comforting evenings, and laughter that awaits me in December. The timing is perfect, because I'll be coming just in time for the peak Christmas celebrations! (Right now it's a bit unfathomable to think of snow and claymation TV specials, Christmas Lights and Deck the Halls playing on the radio!)


Each day is chalk full of lesson planning, grading papers, hanging out with roommates, adventures around the city, and experiencing the culture. I apologize for not keeping you up to date on all the adventures, but here are some highlights since I last wrote:

-Dancing to live music at "Gates Pub" with my roommates

-Going to a small group prayer meeting from a Vineyard church with my friend Leda

-A weekend trip to the nearby colonial city of Pirenopolis with sweet friend Mariana, Natalia and Jana. We shopped and explored the quaint cobble-stoned city, hiked to some amazing waterfalls, and enjoyed the hospitality of Mariana's aunt and uncle as we stayed in their cabin

-Taking full control of the fifth grade classroom-- becoming more familiar and confident with the rhythm and art that is teaching. I especially enjoyed teaching a poetry unit and leading literature circle discussions.

-A mustache-themed good-bye celebration with friends from school-- (that's right, everyone was required to wear a mustache!!)



Each day here remains an adventure- full of self-discovery and experiencing the rich culture that is Brasilia! We have a short week before the Thanksgiving Break. This means a couple of exciting things! 1) I only have 3 days left of working at EAB, student teaching, and ultimately college! I'll be done with my college education in 3 days!!!! 2) We will be travelling to Northern Brazil for the break-- to the beaches of Salvador and a hiking trek in the picturesque Chapada Diamontina. Because Jana and I will be done with our student teaching, we will be spending a couple extra days in Salvador for some relaxation, reflection, and soaking up the Brazilian sun. 3) My time here is coming to an end!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment