Sunday, October 24, 2010

Yesterday, my roommates and I walked to an art exhibit in this museum that was shaped like like a planet.  The art exhibit was beautiful- it had work from Joan Miro-- a famous artist, according to Jana.  Standing in front of these beautiful pieces, I was reminded how much my soul needs to drink in beauty in regular doses.  Poetry, nature, art, laughter.  This should be in my diet like fruits and vegetables.

Another thing that feeds my soul is creating art.  But when I'm at art exhibits, I always ask the same question.  What is it about this artist, this piece of work that makes it worthy of hanging here in this art exhibit?  Is there some undefinable quality that this artist has that makes it "good"?  Do I have possess this "goodness factor" as an artist?  Is that a question I should even ask? 

Maybe no one should doubt their own art.  The students that Jana had in elementary art created beautiful pieces of art-- and I think it was because it wasn't self-edited.  There was no self-doubt-- just unfettered creation coming from the soul. 

It can be so easy to get "too busy" to create.  But again, I think it should be a necessity in my life.

I realized the other day that I am living a much more simple lifestlyle here-- and much more environmentally friendly.  I walk everywhere, we air dry our clothes, don't have an air conditioner, and we eat mostly fresh food bought at locally owned stores.  We live like this because that's what we have to do, but it's nice.  It's nice to not have a cell phone or a car for awhile.  To live in a small apartment here in the middle of South America with some sweet friends.  Life is good. 

Later today, we are going to go hunting for fruit around the city-- hopefully the mangoes have had some more time to ripen.  Then there's an international film festival close by that we might check out tonight.  I hope all is well in Iowa.  Soak up the autumn-ness for me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment