Saturday, July 31, 2010

Generosity

I don't think I really knew what generosity was until I moved down here.  In describing the people here, the adjective that keeps coming up is generous.  I really wish you all could come down and visit, because experiencing this culture, for me, has been truly amazing so far.
The principals from EAB (the school) have been so generous with their time-- they have taken us to so many amazing restaurants, going out of their way to take us on errands, and taking time out of their crazy schedules to make sure that our transition is going smoothly.  Andrea, the Lower Elementary Principal-- offered to give us some essentials for our apartment to borrow while we are down here.  She came by with a large basket full of stuff that is so great to have in the apartment, but we couldn't justify buying for the short amount of time we would have been here.  It's almost humbling to be constantly receiving this kindness, when we don't have much to offer in return.
Andrea was telling me that the families of EAB students might invite me to dinner, and its in their nature to be very warm and compassionate and giving.  "You might wonder, what's the catch?  But their is no catch.  Brazilians just love to be generous." 
It has been such a gift to receive this generousity this past week.  Knowing how much it has blessed me, I hope that I can foster this generous spirit.  They love to give, and they give extravagantly without hidden motives.  To them people are the important thing and they love enjoying life together.  How beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment